Network Reliability Engineering Community

Windows Support for Local Antidote

I wasn’t sure whether a github issue or a post here was better. The anti-up.bat no longer works for SelfMedicate, and the Shell script provided will not work in WSL. I was curious if there was any interest in Windows support.

If there is interest, should it be VirtualBox, HyperV or None(Docker) based?

Yeah, unfortunately the anti-up.bat script hasn’t been touched in a very long time, so I’m not surprised it doesn’t work anymore. You’re the first in nearly a year that have expressed interest in Windows support.

I don’t know anything about WSL - is there a reason the primary selfmedicate.sh script won’t work in WSL?

To answer your last question, we’re currently looking at changing selfmedicate.sh to work primarily without a VM (though we’ll be providing a vagrantfile for those not running linux) to cut down on nested virtualization penalties. If for some reason this effort doesn’t result in a compatible solution for Windows, the preference would be to use as little virtualization as we can get away with. However, I’d like to see a solution that works for all. I know Vagrant is supported on Windows, so maybe that’s the answer.

@cloudtoad might know more, I know he’s been working on selfmedicate a lot lately.

Thanks, I was the one that created the anti-up.bat. The script won’t work for WSL due to a bug with minikube unable to create the VM in VirtualBox, so you have to use the Windows minikube instead, which means fixing all the pathing issues. And you can’t edit the Windows Host file from within WSL.

There is also an issue with VirtualBox and Windows having different names for interfaces, so mapping the drive does not work out of the box.

A Vagrant Box would be great.

Thanks, I was the one that created the anti-up.bat.

Doh! My sincere apologies, it’s been a long year :slight_smile:

Anyways, yeah the current plan is to get the actual minikube configuration to be as simple as possible, and then wrap that in something like a Vagrantfile, which should ideally work for Windows or Mac. Stay tuned there - best bet would be to watch the repo in the near future, I’d expect a PR sometime soon on this. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Great! I will work on the vagrantfile then.

The vagrantfile is the easy part it seams. Getting minikube to work with VM_DRIVER=None is not. With no driver, minikube mount and minikube ssh are not supported, since everything’s running on the local system.

I’ve just tested Vagrant + VirtualBox to run selfmedicate on Windows 10, and had issues with the hostsupdater plugin, which wouldn’t work (common errors reported by lots of folks, about permission issues on changing the hosts file… couldn’t copy/paste the issue, sorry).

I fear this can be quite problematic for people… probably not something specific to antidote though.

Just wanted to followup on that. In case that helps.

Thanks obergix, maybe we should put a link in the docs to the workaround that hostsupdater has. We should also update the docs to note the hosts file can be updated manually.

I just tried to set up Antidote selfmedicate using Vagrant in Windows 10. It seems to work OK. Great work supporting Vagrant!

I plan to contribute a note on making it work through a corporate proxy server. Has anyone already done that?

I spoke too soon. it seems minikube crashes when trying to detect the provisioner after it finished pre-emptively downloading the vqfx and utility images.

@blinklet Can you post your output as a code snippet plz?

Thanks. I’ve stepped back from running this on Windows, for now. I may get a chance to re-test this in a few weeks.